Business Training Program Details
- Price: $8,950.00 + GST
- Location: on-site
- Schedule: 12 ninety-minute sessions spaced over 2 – 4 months plus 27 hours of 1-to-1 project support via phone/internet or on-premises when coinciding with scheduled sessions
- 11 Projects: Directly Applied Relevant Training
- Textbook: ROCK SOLID – How to Strengthen Your Company
The Business Training Program (BTP) is for individuals who are already in business and have 1 – 4 employees. The goal of the training is to get their company running smoothly and profitably while developing their ability to continue to succeed well into the future. The business results will be clearly evident when the BTP is completed.
The training typically covers a period of two to four months. The pace is determined by the amount of time the participant can dedicate to the program each week. The program has parallel tracks – training sessions and project work. There is ‘homework’ between training sessions.
The trainer works with participants through implementation. Then the training drills deeper and moves into the development of customized tools the participant uses to sustain profitability for the long-term.
The Business Training Program was developed by BC’s most experienced business coach. It’s a proven program that develops solid business skills. It delivers results in the short term and builds a solid foundation for long term profitable growth.
Participants must have access to a computer with Word and Excel available.
Grading and Certification
There are 11 projects of equal weight. Each will be graded for both quality and implementation.
30% of the total course mark for project quality and 35% of the total course mark for project implementation. They will be graded as they are submitted.
There will also be a final exam worth 35% of the total course mark that covers the business concepts in ROCK SOLID – How to Strengthen Your Company.
The three sets of marks will be compiled into a letter grade and a certificate will be issued.
Business Training Program
The 3 Main Elements
The Core Competency that this element develops is the ability to build and grow the profitability of their company. We refer to them as Profitability Growth Practices because the training objective is to teach participants to develop customized financial tools and train participants on how to use them — as they put them into practice. The on-going practices create long-term profitability. Just like athletes practice to perform at high levels the same principle applies to business.
The tools of the trade are Pricing Strategies, Business Model Analysis, Forecast & Variance Reports. (These are surprisingly powerful tools that most business owners don’t use at this stage of growth.)
Owners typically know their business like the backs of their hands but most need to learn how to transform their business into a strong, profitable company that operates smoothly.
BTP participants will be trained on how to develop customized tools and use them to improve the profitability of their own company. The ‘hands-on’ projects are scheduled to be completed during the training program.
Implementing the tools, completing the projects and making a positive impact on the profitability of the company. This will be a key component of the participant’s evaluation.
Subjects & Projects
- Understanding the Chart of Accounts
- Adjusting the Chart of Accounts for Profit Centres & Cost Centres – PROJECT
- Determining Run Rates
- Principle of Accrual Accounting
- Business Model modelling
- Developing a Forecast & Variance Reports- PROJECT
- How to proactively address negative Variances – PROJECT
Company Accountability Manager (CA³M)
The Core Competency developed by this element is the ability to effectively organize all of the functions involved in the company. To stay ‘ahead of the game’ and ensure everything that — needs to be done — gets done — and done well. It also covers preparing for the next stage of growth. Even pre-planning for the next hire or perhaps contracting out some functions.
The tools of the trade are the Company Accountability Manager (CA³M), Workplace Strength Assessment and systemization. (Once again these are surprisingly powerful tools that most business owners at this stage don’t use.)
The CA³M is a roadmap for organizing and systemizing business operations. Even in small companies, there are a fair number of ‘moving parts.’ The CA³M delivers a proven methodology for monitoring and consistently improving them.
The CA³M also delivers an effective process for developing accountable and responsible employees. It teaches owners how to make accountability part of the fabric of their company and have employees thinking for themselves about what is best for the company. This is a two-way street, creating a good work environment is part of the solution.
It also provides a system for systemizing all aspects of the company. The CA³M and three core systems will be graded for quality.
Subjects & Projects
- Read chapters 25 through 30
- Understand how a Company Accountability Matrix works and why they’re beneficial
- Developing accountable & responsible employees & work environment
- Developing an ‘inventory’ of all of the company’s functions – PROJECT
- Determining the Frequency of the functions
- Evaluating the ongoing performance of the functions
- Assess if a function needs a system and or policy
- Develop a systemization strategy for the company
- How to write effective systems & writing a minimum of 3 – PROJECT
- How to delegate the writing of systems – particularly non-core ones
- Determine the appropriate communication required for the function
- Ensuring the communication actually takes place
- Preparing for the next hire
- Creating a Growth Plan
BRIDGE Marketing Challenges
The Core Competency developed by this element is the ability to develop marketing plans that attract the right customers for your company.
The first step is to identify the business you want. This can be 1or 2 business opportunities. For example, an auto repair shop can pursue family cars, hot rods or recreational vehicles.
The key is to look for business opportunities where customers will pay enough for you to build a company. It might be working on Mercedes and BMWs. At lower price points like commuter cars it takes a higher velocity of business to build a successful company.
Figure out where you fit into the marketplace of your chosen business opportunities. You don’t want to experience the ‘Mother Teresa Effect’ where you’re delivering value to customers can’t or don’t pay enough for you to build a company. Typically the higher you look in a market the better the business opportunities are.
BRIDGE is a metaphor and an acronym for developing effective marketing plans. The metaphor is bridging to the business you want to get.
With the acronym, each letter represents a challenge that the trainers will lead you through. The challenges are not startup market research related: this training concentrates on finding great customers for your existing products and services – perhaps adding a new product line. This is about developing your customer base and growing your business.
When the first three challenges are completed it’s a straightforward move to create an effective marketing plan. Then the training works through the development of advertising pieces and testing them in the marketplace.
Participants will also be evaluated on the marketing program as a whole and the ability of their marketing pieces to attract good-paying customers.
Subjects & Projects
Read chapter 33 on the BRIDGE Marketing Challenges
- Identify the business you want for your company.
- Inventory of Benefits with Buy-in (Hot buttons) – PROJECT
- Detail prospects resistance
- Inventory of ways to initiate contact with prospects – PROJECT
- Draft a Marketing Plan – PROJECT
- Run a minimum of 2 experiments on tactics to test Return on Investment – PROJECT
- Understand the difference between customer service and customer satisfaction